Why we collect personal information
We collect your personal information because it helps us deliver a superior level of customer service. It enables us to give you convenient access to our products and services and focus on categories of greatest interest to you. In addition, your personal information helps us keep you posted on the latest product announcements, software updates, special offers, and events that you might like to hear about.
What information we collect and how we may use it
There are a number of situations in which your personal information may help us give you better products. For example:
- We may ask for your personal information when you're discussing a service issue on the phone with an associate, downloading a software update, registering for a seminar, participating in an online survey, registering your products, or purchasing a product.
- When you interact with Acala Software, we may collect personal information relevant to the situation, such as your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and contact preferences; your credit card information and information about the Acala Software products you own, such as their serial numbers and date of purchase; and information relating to a support or service issue.
- We also collect information for market research purposes - such as your occupation and where you use your computer - to gain a better understanding of our customers and thus provide more valuable service.
- We collect information regarding customer activities on our websites. This helps us to determine how best to provide useful information to customers and to understand which parts of our websites, products, and Internet services are of most interest to them.
- We may use personal information to provide products that you have requested as well as for auditing, research, and analysis to improve Acala Software's products.
When we disclose your information
Acala Software takes your privacy very seriously. Acala Software does not sell or rent your contact information to other marketers.
Within the Acala Software Inc.
With our service providers, vendors, and strategic partners
There are also times when it may be advantageous for Acala Software to make certain personal information about you available to companies that Acala Software has a strategic relationship with or that perform work for Acala Software to provide products and services to you on our behalf. These companies may help us process information, extend credit, fulfill customer orders, deliver products to you, manage and enhance customer data, provide customer service, assess your interest in our products and services, or conduct customer research or satisfaction surveys. These companies are also obligated to protect your personal information in accordance with Acala Software's policies, except if we inform you otherwise at the time of collection. Without such information being made available, it would be difficult for you to purchase products, have products delivered to you, receive customer service, provide us feedback to improve our products and services, or access certain services, offers, and content on the Acala Software website.
At times we may be required by law or litigation to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary.
Cookies and other technologies
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the site, to track users' movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. Acala Software will not use the information collected to market directly to that person.
In some of our email messages we use a "click-through URL" linked to content on the Acala Software website. When customers click one of these URLs, they pass through our web server before arriving at the destination web page. We track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our customer communications. If you prefer not to be tracked simply avoid clicking text or graphic links in the email.
In addition we use pixel tags - tiny graphic images - to tell us what parts of our website customers have visited or to measure the effectiveness of searches customers perform on our site.
Pixel tags also enable us to send email messages in a format customers can read. And they tell us whether emails have been opened to ensure that we're sending only messages that are of interest to our customers. We may use this information to reduce or eliminate messages sent to a customer. We store all of this information in a secure database located in Hong Kong.
Our companywide commitment to your privacy
As we said, Acala Software takes protecting your privacy very seriously. To make sure your personal information is secure, we communicate these guidelines to Acala Software employees and strictly enforce privacy safeguards within the company.
Acala Software's website has links to the sites of other companies. Acala Software is not responsible for their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about the privacy policies of those companies.
Acala Software Inc.
Last updated August 25, 2009
© Acala Software Inc. All rights reserved.